1½ cups/ 335ml boiling water
1 cup/ 85g oatmeal (or more)
½/ cup/ 113g marg
1 cup/ 220g brown sugar
1 cup/ 200g white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1½ cup/ 195g flour
1/2 cup raisins
350˚F/ 170˚C 35 mins
1. Pour boiling water over oats, let soften
2. In a separate bowl, whisk fat and sugar together till fluffy. Add in eggs one by one mixing each time. Sift in flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix together.
3. Add bowl of oatmeal into the rest of the ingredients, mix and pour into a square cake tin (greased and lined). Cook for about 40 minutes but keep an eye on it. Should be taken out of oven when a skewer comes out of the middle of the cake clean. If the cake is still liquidy in the middle but going brown on top, place some foil over it and continue baking.
4. When cooked, let it cool in tin for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
5. Heat 1 cup milk on the stove. Mix 5 tbsp flour with a dash of milk in a cup (to avoid lumps). Add this thick mix into the milk when hot on stove. Whisk until boiled and beginning to thicken. Take off the heat and let cool completely.
6. When the flour/milk is totally cool, beat together one cup of margerine and one cup of fine white sugar. Add 1 tsp vanilla essence.
7. Add this mix to the milk/flour mix. Whip together and spread over cake. Makes a substantial, not too sweet white icing. Yummy!!